How Does the Audit Trail Display Lookup Relationship Field Value Changes in Veeva Vault?
In order to answer the question, an example scenario is presented with a Vault Quality object.
Supposing a Vault User updates only the Quality Event field of a CAPA Action record.
Why does the Audit Trail display that the Vault User updated Quality Event Type and Finding Type? These fields are Lookup Fields.
Lookup fields update their value at the same time the lookup relationship field is updated, in this case, by the user.
- For example, in the scenario above, these would be:
- Lookup relationship field: Quality Event
- Lookup fields: Quality Event Type, Finding Type
The user is able to see this update happen in the UI before they save the record.
If the lookup source field is updated by a user, all lookup fields that point to this field will get updated as well. In this case, our audit log will display "System on behalf of user"
- For example, if the user went to the related Quality Event record and update the Quality Event Type to "Deviation" instead of "Finding", this change would happen to the CAPA Action record's Finding Type field.
- This update would be logged as "System on behalf of user"
Vault Help Documentation: