Error: Failed to install or update modern application - when Installing WinModern App in CRM.
A Windows 8 side-loading product key is missing.
Side-loading apps require a Windows 8 side-loading key.
- If using Windows 8 Enterprise Edition and the device is domain-joined, the device is automatically considered side-loading enabled
- If using Windows 8 Enterprise edition in a Workgroup or Windows 8 Pro Edition, obtain and install a side-loading product key for each device
For domain-joined devices:
- Ensure that the Allow Trusted Apps to Install group policy is enabled.
To obtain a temporary developer side-loading key:
- Open the start screen.
- Type in powershell.
- Right-click on Windows PowerShell.
- Click Run as administrator.
- Once PowerShell opens, type the following: Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration.
- Press Enter.
- This opens a dialog asking to agree to the Windows 8 Developer License.
- Agree to the license.
- A prompt asks to log in to a Microsoft account.
- Once the account is verified, a message appears saying that the user has a developer license. It states the expiration date.
- Run this process again after the expiration date.
- Close PowerShell.
To check the developer license status, use the following PowerShell command:
It returns an object stating whether the license is valid, and what the expiration date is. Remove or deactivate the developer license using the following PowerShell command:
Send us your feedback: We're always looking for advice to help improve our Knowledge Base! Please let us know if this article was helpful or provide feedback on how we can improve your experience here.