How to Create a Dynamic Dashboard and Grant Visibility to an End-User?
Dashboards are visual implementation snapshots that are generated from the data in associated reports and are presented as graphical elements. These graphical elements are known as dashboard components, of which there are these five types:
- Visualforce pages
A dynamic dashboard runs using the security settings of the user viewing the dashboard. Each user sees the dashboard according to his or her own access level. This approach helps to share one common set of dashboard components to users with different levels of access. A single dynamic dashboard can display a standard set of metrics across all levels of your organization.
Before creating Dynamic Dashboards, pre-prepared source reports containing the data desired to display need to be created. Folders that are accessible to all dashboard viewers, in which dynamic dashboards and corresponding component source reports should also be created.
To create a Dynamic Dashboard follow the steps below:
- Click on the Reports tab.
- Click on the New Dashboards... button, as shown in the following screenshot:
- Click on the drop-down arrow button to the right of the View dashboard as field option.
- Select Run as logged-in user option.
- Click on OK.
- Click on Save on the main dashboard.
- Navigate to: Setup --> App Setup --> Customize --> Home --> Home Page Layouts.
- Click Edit next to the appropriate Home Page Layout that applies to the end-user profile that has visibility to this dashboard.
- Ensure Dashboard Snapshot is checked.
- Log in as the end-user.
- On the Home page, click Customize Page on the Dashboard Component, as seen in the following screenshot:
- Under the column Show Data From type in the name of the Dashboard.
- Click Save.
Salesforce.com Documentation: Setup Dynamic Dashboards