How does one delete mass data in Salesforce.com (SFDC) from an org in order to start fresh?
Salesforce offers a built-in tool under Data Management to Mass Delete Records. This tool only works with standard Salesforce objects. Custom object data can be deleted using Data Loader, Developer Console, Batch Apex, Workbench, Truncate option, or other applications found on the AppExchange.
Salesforce standard objects:
If the organization is still in Trial, delete all data by navigating to: Setup --> Administration Setup --> Data Management --> Delete All Data.
The Delete All Data tool deletes ALL data within the organization. Once deleted, this data cannot be recovered. Only use this link to delete all data.
System Administrators of both Trial and paid subscriptions can Mass-Delete data. To mass-delete only test data, follow the steps below:
- Locate a record (any Account or Contact). Find the Created By stamp on the Page Layout. Copy the date and time.
- Navigate to: Setup --> Administration Setup --> Data Management --> Mass Delete Records.
- Select a type of Record to be deleted, such as: Accounts. Review the notes that identify records to be deleted.
- Under Step 3, enter a filter that reads: Created Date equals [paste the Created Date from the record].
- Review the conditions of Steps 4 and 5, then click Search.
- All records that meet the criteria are returned.
- Scan the list to confirm the deletion all of the records listed. Enable the checkbox next to all records to be deleted (click the select all link to select all records), then click Delete.
- Repeat this process for other types of records to be deleted.
Salesforce.com Documentation: Batch Apex
Send us your feedback: We're always looking for advice to help improve our Knowledge Base! Please let us know if this article was helpful or provide feedback on how we can improve your experience here.