Are annotations automatically carried forward across Vault document versions?
Annotations (including those with reference links) are not automatically carried forward across document versions. However, a user can bring forward certain annotations from one document version to another by using the Bring Forward Annotations feature.
If the Bring Forward Annotations feature is enabled by an admin in Vault, users can bring forward Link, Comment, Anchor, and Line annotations. However, Vault does not bring forward Resolved annotations.
On that note, Vault settings determine how Linked Document relationships are handled during document versioning:
- If the Bring Forward Linked Document Relationships to New Versions feature is on, Vault only copies any Linked Document relationships from the previous version when a new version of a document is created. Vault does not copy any annotations, including the link annotations that created the relationship. The relationships appear in the document fields under the Linked Documents section.
- If the Bring Forward Linked Document Relationships to New Versions feature is off, Vault does not copy the Linked Documents relationships during versioning.
Vault Help Documentation:
- How to Bring Forward Annotations from a Previous Version in PromoMats?
- What is the Advanced Bring Forward Annotations Functionality in Vault PromoMats?
- Why Bring Forward Annotations is Not Visible in PromoMats?