How to determine if a Veeva Sandbox is on a Salesforce Release Preview Instance?
Salesforce release upgrades go into Veeva Sandboxes using a different mechanism than Veeva upgrades. With Salesforce releases, a Sandbox must either get on or get off a preview instance in order to get the upgrade.
Salesforce typically has three Releases per year. The names are connected to a season as well as a year.
- Spring 'XX - First 2 weekends in February
- Summer 'XX - First 2 weekends in June
- Winter 'XX - First 2 weekends in October
To get onto a preview instance, the Sandbox should be on the preview instance at the time of the Salesforce release or Sandbox upgrade. Or, create a new Sandbox or refresh an existing Sandbox before a hard date is specified by Salesforce. If the date is missed, Salesforce will upgrade the Sandbox. This occurs automatically on the 2nd release weekend of a given Salesforce release.
To determine if a Veeva Sandbox is already on a preview instance, the admin must know the Sandbox instance location and must review the Salesforce preview instructions article that is posted with each Salesforce release.
To find a Sandbox location, complete the following steps:
- Log into a Production environment.
- In Setup, use Quick Find and search for Sandboxes.
- Review the Sandboxes that are created and specifically review the Location column. For purposes of this example, let's assume the FULL/TEST Sandbox is on Location aka instance CS97.
To determine if the Sandbox located on the CS97 instance is already on a preview instance, complete the following steps:
- Search for Salesforce Sandbox Preview Instructions in a browser.
- Locate the article for the Salesforce release that is coming up. Example: Summer '19.
- Navigate to the portion of the article called Refresh? Or don’t refresh? Or do nothing?
- Review the table displayed and note that CS97 is already on a preview instance and therefore no action needs to be taken. The Sandbox gets the Summer '19 upgrade.
Vault Documentation: Vault Help