How to control what objects are listed in the Sidebar Search component of the Home Page when using CRM Online?
When using the Salesforce Classic view online there are multiple object types in the Sidebar Search component's picklist that may not be used by an organization. The removal of objects may be needed.
A prerequisite to making this picklist visible is to enable the Enable Drop-Down List for Sidebar Search setting in the App Settings --> Customize --> Search --> Search Settings page. If this is not enabled, the picklist does not appear.
Removal of object types from the Sidebar Search's picklist may or may not be possible depending on what object a user is looking at:
- Veeva Standard Objects may be removed from the picklist by setting a user's tab visibility setting to Tab Hidden. To remove the Veeva Messages picklist value, the same tab's visibility setting needs to be set to Tab Hidden in the user's profile. This still allows the user to retain access to the object records.
Salesforce Standard Objects may generally be removed by taking away a user's Read access on the object.
Example: To remove Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, Individuals, or Ideas from the picklist, the user's Read access needs to be taken from these objects.
The following items are controlled differently.
- To remove Reports, uncheck the Run Reports profile permission
- To remove List Emails, uncheck the Allow sending of List Emails profile permission
- To remove Email Messages, disable the Enhanced Email function in Settings under App Settings --> Customize --> Email --> Enhanced Email
The following picklist values are non-removable:
- Enhanced Letterheads (public by default in all Lightning-enabled organizations),