The inactivation of Roster Member records and their User record counterparts are not reflecting correctly in Veeva Align or in Veeva CRM, depending on if User Management is enabled or not. User Management is also referred to as Roster Management, it is not to be confused with Rep Rosters from Sample Management.
How to Inactivate CRM User / Roster Member Records From the Perspective of the Veeva Align / Veeva CRM Integration and User Management? What happens to the records in both Products in case User Management is enabled or not enabled?
The purpose of this article is to explain how to use User Management from a Business process perspective, it does not focus on troubleshooting potential issues.
User Management may be enabled in the Veeva CRM Org record, by setting Manage CRM Users to Manage CRM Users or Manage CRM Users and Role Hierarchy.
Scenario #1 - User Management is not enabled in Veeva Align, the Roster Member record is Mastered in CRM - The Mastered by Align field of the Roster Member record is set to either false or null
In the event, User Management is not enabled, the User records in CRM are required to be inactivated by setting the IsActive CRM Standard field to false, unchecking it. It is not possible to remove User records in Veeva CRM.
Once the User record is inactivated in Veeva CRM, the User is unassigned from any Territories to which the User was assigned in Veeva CRM, meaning that the associated UserTerritory2Associations (UT2A) record gets deleted automatically. This is the expected Salesforce behavior.
After an "Import from CRM" process run, the status__v field of the Roster Member record counterpart is set to inactive__v. This is working as designed, as the Inactive__v field in Veeva Align is mapped to the IsActive field in Veeva CRM, which is hardcoded and cannot be modified. All Roster Member Territory records of the roster member are end dated, the Roster Member record itself is not end-dated.
Scenario #2 - User Management is enabled in Veeva Align, the Roster Member record is Mastered in CRM - The Mastered By Align field of the Roster Member record is set to either false or null
In this scenario, the details explained in Scenario #1 are applied to these Roster Member records in Veeva Align and their User record counterparts in Veeva CRM.
Scenario #3 - User Management is enabled in Veeva Align, the Roster Member record is Mastered in Align - The Mastered by Align field of the Roster Member record is set to true
In this scenario, in the event User Management is configured based on the Align Help Documentation the following logic applies currently:
The "Import from CRM" job no longer updates the Roster Member records in Align based on the CRM User record counterpart changes. The management of the records is reversed from the perspective of the source system. Instead of Veeva CRM, The Veeva Align "Push to CRM" job manages User records in Veeva CRM based on the changes happening to the Roster Member records in Align. The IsActive field in CRM is automatically mapped to the CRM User Status field of the Roster Member object in Align.
The status__v is not set to inactive__v, and the Veeva Align System Admin (Vault Owner) must not change the status__v value.
The End-Dating Users in Align Align Help Documentation explains the end-dating process, the Align System Administrator (Vault Owner) should carry out:
For example, Sarah Jones’ last day at Verteo BioPharma is April 1st, 2021. The Align user is asked to deactivate Sarah Jones in CRM at that time. The Align user edits the Roster Member corresponding to Sarah Jones and updates the End Date to April 1st, 2021. On April 2nd, the Align user pushes to CRM. Since the end date for the Roster Member record is in the past, the corresponding CRM User is deactivated.
There are two options possible:
- End dating the Roster Member record
- Setting the CRM User Status field to inactive.
Both options may be used interchangeably. It is also possible to perform both actions at the same time. This is to give granular control over Users and Salesforce User Licence Management.
In the event, the Roster Member is end dated, the associated Roster Member Territories are also end-dated by the Veeva Align UI itself, and the UT2A records get deleted by the next Push to CRM Process, however, the IsActive field of the User record remains checked (true) in Veeva CRM.
In the event, the CRM User Status field is set to inactive, the Push to CRM process end dates the associated Roster Member Territories in Align, and deletes the UT2A records. The end date of the Roster Member record does not get changed with this option.
Reactivating the Roster Member record - depending on which action was carried out - may be done by reversing these changes:
- Setting the end date of the Roster Member back to the future
- Setting the CRM User Status of the Roster Member field back to active.
A new Roster Member Territory assignment has to be created in case of either of these options.
While from a technical perspective, it is possible to restore end-dated Roster Member Territory assignments by deleting all associated Integration Status 2 records and running Push to CRM, this method is not the intended usage of Veeva Align for Align Local Admins from the business perspective.
- Do not use the status__v field to deactivate Roster Member records. This field is managed by the Align-CRM Integration.
- In any of the scenarios, Roster Members must not be inactivated manually.
- Push to CRM refers to the Veeva CRM Org Level Push in the context of this article.
- To avoid confusion, the term User is used in this article, as the SFDC Object itself is called User.
- It is not possible and is a misconfiguration not having User Management enabled and setting the Mastered by Align field to true on Roster Member records in Veeva Align.
- It is also possible to manage the Roster Member Territory records only without manipulating the Roster Member record.
- Managing User records in Veeva CRM and Roster Member records in Veeva Align is not to be confused with managing user__sys records in an Align Vault (Veeva Align). These records represent the Vault Owners, System Administrators, or any end-users (Local Market Admins) using the Align Vault (Veeva Align). It is not possible to delete user__sys records, they can only be inactivated. user__sys records are standard Vault Platform records.
- Both user__sys records in an Align Vault and User records in Veeva CRM are end users of the respective products. Roster Member records in Align are not End Users, they represent the User record counterparts in Veeva Align.
- User Management allows switching the source, or master Product (Veeva CRM and Veeva Align).
- User Management includes Profile Management (Functional Profiles) and Role Management as additional features.
Be sure to inactivate CRM User records, Align Roster Member records based on the Align Help Documentation and the functionality logic detailed above.
Align Help Documentation: